Friday, August 1, 2008

What are you doing with your dogs?

We have (had) three dogs that made this decision that much harder. They were the one aspect of this move that we were unable to talk about for so long because we both got so emotional thinking about giving them up. If you have pets you understand this....they are our children!!
That being said, Klipsch agreed to pay for the relocation of ONE of our pets. That is costing them $5,000...so imagine their reluctance to re-locate THREE of them!! That wasn't going to happen! :)
Even though it seems like this would be a hard decision, fate stepped in and decided for us. A friend of mine at work, Chelsea, expressed interest in adopting a big dog, as she always had dogs growing up and missed it. Her husband Aaron and her just got married about a month ago and we ready to expand their family. So when I went to visit China, she kept Gracie for us to see if it would be a good fit. They all loved each other immediately and we knew we had found a new family for our little girl. Gracie made the move right after the 4th of July and has been very happy. Her brothers miss her terribly, as do Andre and I, but we know she is in good hands. I think Chelsea and Aaron are spoiling her...but she deserves it!! :)
That brings us to Reuben. Anyone who has met him knows he is skittish and rejects anything that is not in his routine. My Mom & Dad have had a spot for Reuben in their hearts for him since they do they met him, and volunteered immediately to take him. I feel very comfortable with this, and know that he will be a good little lake dog!! At this time he is still with us, and will be until we leave.
If you are keeping track you know that leaves us with Ralphie!! He is our baby...the only dog that Andre and I acquired together. So in a way, it makes the most sense. He is also the biggest pest/troublemaker. However, I think he will be a different dog when he doesn't have any other dogs to torment & pester. Ralphie will also be living with my Mom & Dad until we arrive in China and move into an apartment. Hopefully it will be about a month or less, and then Animals Away will transport him over to his new home in China!
It will be nice to have a piece of home over there. It will give me responsibility and a reason to get out & about everyday regardless of whether I want to or not. We are sad to part with & separate our "children" but we know they will be well taken care of and happy.

2 comments:

Andre LaRouche said...

I miss Gracie, but I know that she is getting lots of love. And if any of you knew Gracie, love and attention were her favorite things in the world...
Andre

Anonymous said...

Aw Geez, you guys! I can't imagine leaving my two babies. You two are a lot stronger than Chris and I would be. I'm glad though you have good places for them though. That way, you can visit them whenever you are home! Yeah!
Love,

Amanda